The Battle for Your Money Begins in the Mind (Podcast)
Today’s episode is “The Battle for Your Money Begins in the Mind.” We’re going to explore how the way you think about money influences your financial behavior and your ultimate success with money. I’ll share some surprising facts about how your brain processes information, including how to identify destructive thoughts and replace them with productive ones.
• You’ve heard me say it many times: “Money is emotional.” Our emotions, both positive and negative ones, can drive our behavior and our habits. And, if we have bad financial habits, our bank balances will reflect it. But what causes our emotions? They are usually a response to actions or words – our own or others. What precedes our words and actions? Thoughts. The ancient proverbs states: “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” Thoughts are the ultimate root of our daily habits.
• When it comes to money, think about what you’ve been thinking about. What are you saying to yourself – both out loud and in your head – when it comes to money? Are you saying things like this: “That’s too expensive.” “I’ll never pay off these student loans.” “Everyone is getting promoted except for me.” “I’ll always have a car payment.”
• You may have heard of The Law of Attraction which states that we attract the things that we focus our thoughts on. If we continue to think about what we lack, we are attracting more of that to ourselves. Victim thinking and financial prosperity are 100% incompatible and mutually exclusive.
• I recently read the book, The Answer by John Assaraf and Muarry Smith, not once, but three times. The book explains how our brains work and how to harness the power of our thoughts to attract what we want in life and business. I highly recommend you get a copy and read it!
• Here is a startling fact that you may not know: the conscious part of our brain only controls 2 – 4% of our actions! Our non-conscious brain controls the other 96 – 98% of our behavior. You might find this fact discouraging. “How am I supposed to change my thoughts if the conscious part of my brain only controls 2 – 4% of my actions!?” you may ask. The good news is that you can use your conscious mind to choose the thoughts you want to believe and systematically impress them on your non-conscious mind.
• We CAN control what we think. The first step is to begin identifying your negative money thoughts. I want you to try this experiment: keep a small notepad handy for several days. Write down any negative statements you think or say about money. After a few days, look over the list and see if you can identify any overarching themes or possible sources of the negative money beliefs you’ve written down. Sometimes we’ve adopted the money beliefs of other people – such as our parents or spouse – without even realizing it.
• So, what’s the answer to ridding our brains of negative money thoughts? We need to reprogram our non-conscious brains by replacing the negative with positive, productive money thoughts. Look at your list of negative money thoughts and turn them into positive affirmations! For example: “I can afford to buy the things I need and want.” “I’m making large payments on my student loans, and they’ll be gone in no time.” “I’m offered raises and promotions at my job.” “I’m able to pay cash for the car I want to drive.” Even better, turn them into Afformations®, which are “why” questions. Example: “Why am I able to pay cash for the car I want to drive?” This turns off the “nay-sayer” in your head.
• If you can grasp the importance of your thoughts when it comes to your money – or any other area of your life that you’d like to change – then positive change is inevitable. Positive thoughts will lead to positive action, which will lead to positive habits. It does take time for these changes to manifest, just as it takes time for an acorn to grow into an oak tree. Repetition is the key to impressing these positive thoughts on your non-conscious mind, which will crowd out and replace the negative thoughts.
• Remember: Victim thinking and financial prosperity are 100% incompatible and mutually exclusive.
Learn the 5 Step Process my Clients Use to Master Their Money & Become a Financial Success! Request the free training below.